Veterans Support

How to tell us you served

If you are an ex-member of the ARMED FORCES, have ever served in the SERVICES then it is important that you inform your GP. Anyone who has served is known as a ‘Veteran’ regardless of whether their service was ‘active’ or when it was they served.

It is important that your DEFENCE SERVICE MEDICAL RECORD is linked to your civilian medical record.

There are certain referral pathways and services that are offered specifically to ‘veterans’ but this cannot be done if your GP doesn’t know about you.

Being flagged as a veteran means you are more likely to receive specialist veteran care and consideration, and GPs can refer you to specialist veteran services if you need them

Please copy this information, hand it in to reception or ask a friend or family member to do this for you. The receptionist will ensure it is dealt with correctly:


Name: Date of Birth:


NHS. No if known:

Please be aware that I am Ex Military Service Personnel and need to ensure that this is coded in my medical record.

Please use the following code:

(XaX3N) Military veteran 753651000000107


It is important that your DEFENCE MEDICAL SERVICES record and your GP Medical record can be linked up; if you have your medical summary form (FMed133A) please provide a copy to the receptionist.

If you do not have paper record summary or the above form then please indicate below which arm of the forces you served in and the surgery can arrange for a request to be sent for access to the medical records:

For Royal Navy/Royal Marines: :

For British Army: :

For Royal Air Force: :


Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service (

After serving in the Armed Forces, some people find it hard to adjust to civvy street. If you’re struggling with your mental health and wellbeing, Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service is here to help.

Op COURAGE is an NHS service in England that’s been developed with people who’ve served in the Armed Forces and experienced mental ill-health. Every member of staff within the service is either from the Armed Forces or has experience of working with the military community. In partnership with Armed Forces charities and NHS services, the staff at Op COURAGE provide specialist care, support and treatment for those due to leave the military, reservists and those who’ve served. Since its launch in 2017, the service has helped nearly 30,000 veterans.

What does Op COURAGE offer?

Op COURAGE provides a range of specialist support and treatment, depending on the needs of the individual – there’s no ‘one size fits all’. This might include helping you to recognise and treat early signs of mental ill health, as well as providing care and support for more advanced mental health conditions and psychological trauma.

In addition, the service provides support and treatment for a range of addictions, such as alcohol and drug misuse and gambling, and can refer you to other NHS services if needed. Op COURAGE also works with charities and local organisations to provide support for your wider health and wellbeing needs, which may include help with housing, relationships, finances and employment.

We know that when someone is unwell it may affect the rest of the family, so Op COURAGE can support them access help and care too.

Who can Op COURAGE help?

Op COURAGE supports UK Armed Forces veterans living in England, as long as they have served a minimum of one full day, and regardless of how long ago they left the military.

Op COURAGE also provides support to serving personnel due to leave the Armed Forces and reservists.

How do you access Op COURAGE?

You can contact Op COURAGE directly to make an appointment or ask someone else, such as a family member, friend, charity or health professional to make it for you. You can also ask your GP to refer you, but you don’t have to go through your GP to get an appointment. For details of your local service, visit


Armed Forces Banner